Orientation 101
Hello!
I have gotten to know Oaxaca a little better since my last post, so here are some updates. We'll call them "Since-my-last-post updates." Sound good? :-)
- I have put down a deposit on an apartment, and will move into it in October. Until then, I will be living in Jo Ellen's house. Once I'm in, I'll post some pictures of it. Yay, pictures!
- I have successfully gone to the copier three times, the grocery store twice, and only got lost when I tried to find the mail box. I also seem to time most of my outings pretty well with the afternoon rainstorm. Want it to rain? Send Laura out on an errand. :-)
- The teachers' strike still continues, but they are beginning to open some schools and have unblocked some roads. To my understanding, they seem to be realizing the negative effect this is having on the economy and are taking small steps to try to correct that, but still refuse to acknowledge the state government as the ruling power.
- We will be going to Puebla (in central Mexico) for Mexico Independence Day. When we return, I will begin language school.
Hmmm... not too many updates I guess. God has been constantly reminding me not to focus on myself, but on Him. I am excited to begin language school and move into an apartment. I am also excited to help with the missions groups that come down.
Images of Oaxaca
A cornfield leading to the mountains as a storm approaches. I took this picture on our drive to a birthday party.
Prayer: Continue to pray for Oaxaca - the teachers, the children, the economy, the church... Also, tonight, I will meet with the leaders of the Covenant churches, so that they can get to know me. Later, they will decide what exactly my ministry will be. Pray that God will guide my words and help me to share my heart with them, and that they would have wisdom in planning what I will do while I'm here.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home