'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Puebla

Whoa, it has been a while since my last post! Where has the time gone? Well, I was in Puebla (in Central Mexico) for 6 days, including Independence Day. I was there to become oriented to the city and Covenant churches of Puebla. I really enjoyed experiencing the culture of central Mexico, especially all the Independence Day festivities. Here are some pictures from my visit there.

This one's for you Mom!
For those of you who don't know, I am allergic to chili powder. So, when we were walking through the indoor market and saw all these chilis, we just couldn't pass up the photo opportunity.


Jo Ellen (the missionary I am staying with) and I visited an ancient pyramid - bigger than the ones in Egypt (just not as tall). It has not been excavated and just looks like a big hill from the outside. However, there are passageways that have been dug out, and we were able to walk around these dark tunnels.


When we exited the pyramid and were walking around the base of it, I heard an odd voice. When we rounded the corner, I saw 2 women selling their goods. The crazy thing was that they would say the exact same thing, in the same high pitched voice. It was actually kind of eerie. Jo Ellen bought some grasshoppers from this woman in the picture. No, I didn't try any. Unfortunately, they are seasoned with chili powder. Bummer ;-)

Back in Oaxaca! This yellow bridge is the dividing line between the state of Oaxaca and the state of Puebla. The drive between Oaxaca and Puebla is amazingly beautiful. However, there are no pull off areas to enjoy the views, because then vendors would come. So, we just enjoyed the views as we sped along the highway. This bridge, however, is the only thing between us and the valley below on either side. Drive carefully!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home