Even more current Current Events
Here is a link to a very recent article on the ABC News website:
Mexico sends troops to violent Oaxaca
and another on CNN.com:
Mexico sends riot police to...
Due to the report of federal force coming in today, I am going to be staying in my apartment for the rest of the day. But, this morning I did get a chance to walk through the central part of the city and things were peaceful at that point. I did have to duck under the low hanging tarps and navigate my way around several barricades, but so long as there are women and children around, I know there is less chance of danger. The following photos are good examples of common sites when walking downtown:

These tarps are here to protect the APPO (People's Popular Assembly of Oaxaca) and teachers from sun and rain. They have been in protest since June. The sign says "No to repression! Respect the popular will of the city of Oaxaca." Foreigners tend to be taller than the average Oaxacan, so I often have to be careful that I am not clotheslined when I walk past tents like these.

Many cars, trucks, and buses have been stolen ("kidnapped" in Spanish) and are used as barricades. Sometimes they are torched, but most times they are covered with graffiti that supports APPO and demands that the governor leave.

This is another common form of a blockade. Please note that in these last 2 pictures, people are going about their normal routines and they do not seem to be in any sort of danger. This is how I see Oaxaca. In some news articles, the images are very violent and scary. I am not denying that these are real, but I have avoided such situations and therefore have not experienced such things.
I hope that this helped you imagine what Oaxaca is experiencing right now. We will see what happens this weekend - if federal force actually does come and, if it does, what that will mean for Oaxaca. Thank you for your prayers!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home