'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Monday, October 30, 2006

Please - tell them the truth

Today, as I spoke with a Oaxacan woman about what is going on, she shared with me her concern about what people outside of Oaxaca think about what is going on. She heard there is news in the States asking people to support the protesters. Her eyes teared up as she pleaded me to share the truth with people in the United States. I didn't think it was that serious, but then, sure enough, I found many leftist sites saying that the federal forces are repressing Oaxaca and that the protestors are reacting very peaceably.

I figure most people will be able to tell that these groups are really on the radical side. But, just to clear up confusion, I will share what I have observed. The following quote from an article demonstrates how the city reacted to the troops: "The city was deeply divided between protesters demanding Gov. Ulises Ruiz's resignation and those wanting a return to the tranquil days when foreign tourists browsed shops and dined on the region's famous mole sauce." There were people who welcomed the police with applause and others who threw burning tires and rocks at the advancing federal force.

As far as how the average Oaxacan feels about Fox finally sending aid - I think this quote sums it up quite well: "Let them stay," Edith Mendoza, a 40-year-old housewife, said of the police. "We were held hostage for five months."

So, basically, troops coming in to finally oust the protesters = good news. They have paralyzed Oaxaca long enough.

Once again, thank you so much for your continued prayers. I personally have pretty much been in my apartment since Saturday afternoon. My language school is still open, but the University pretty near our neighborhood has become one of the hot spots, so it is better if I don't go out. But, like I've said before, I do not feel like I am in danger.

"His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home