'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Monday, May 28, 2007

The Kraken

The other day I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest. As I watched, I had some deep theological thoughts ;-), so I figured I'd share with you. Ready?

Ok, in the movie, there is a large creature of the sea called the kraken. It is a mythological monster that attacks ships - and there is no escape from a kraken. The last things you know in this life are the smell of death, the sound of cracking of wood, and the sight of its huge arms just before it drags the ship to the bottom of the ocean.

Lovely, eh? Well, as I watched such a scene play out, it struck me that when they were attacked, every single sailor on that ship knew exactly what was happening to them. Some of them probably hadn't even believed the kraken was real, others might have had their suspicions, but in that moment, everyone shouted "Kraken!" and realized there wasn't much they could do to stop his coming for them.

It made me think of when God comes on that last day. Everyone will know His name. Those who didn't believe, those who did, those who put their beliefs in other things - no matter what, no one will doubt that it is Christ who has come again to declare His glorious victory.

That's about as far as I'd go in comparing the kraken to God, but the image of those sailors shouting really helped my visually oriented mind. And though my mind works better with visual aides, it is by faith that I believe that on that last day I will be able to rejoice - because I do believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and that my eternity will be spent in the wonderful presence of God.

Therefore God exalted [Jesus] to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians
2:9-11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home