'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Monday, September 03, 2007

Small adventures

Alright, I've settled ino my apartment and have already had my few first adventures...

-The first was moving into my apartment. I had no idea how much stuff I had left down here, and getting it down a small, wet, spiral staircase proved to be an interesting task. My arm took one for the team when an old laundry basket of books broke apart. OK, ok, it wasn't too major, just a scrape, but it stung! ;-) I had help getting the stuff up into my apartment, so no complaints there.

-Cooking has also proven to be an adventure. I apparently lack the fine tuned skill of lighting a gas oven. I'll keep working on that though. And, I can't seem to set things I'm cooking low enough to simmer - this stove just seems to have the boil-over setting ;-). But, I'll keep at that too. I will triumph!

-Today I went to a Casa Hogar (a home) for children, and it looks like I will be working there a couple days each week. It is a beautiful facility with friendly people. I'll be working one-on-one with a boy with special needs. How amazing to see the skills I learned at Laradon already be put to use! The boy is eight and is super lovable. It'll be a bit of a struggle to get him to respect my authority, but we should have plenty of time to work on that :-). By the way, the website for them is www.ffhm.org.

I still need to get out an explore Oaxaca again. It has been pretty rainy so far, but that makes for nice and cool evenings. And, now that there aren't protestors who are afraid of me being a journalist, maybe I can take more pictures of the beautiful city and post them. So, stay tuned for more :-)

Well, I better get going - my pot of eggs boileth over.