'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What Do You Say Dear?

This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I got a kick out of it each time we read it - still do, actually ;-). Basically, the characters get themselves into awkward situations and you have to think of what should be said.
-
For example, "You have gone downtown to do some shopping. You are walking backwards, because sometimes you like to, and you bump into a crocodile. What do you say, dear?" ;-) A complicated situation, but the answer turns out to be as simple as, "Excuse me." Go figure.

I'm reminded of this book as I think back on my bus ride today. Not knowing exactly what to do tends to be a daily occurrence living in another culture. Want to give it a go?

1-When I got on the bus, it was quite crowded with people heading home. I noticed a seat opened up, but blocking the aisle were two teenagers who were... very loving toward one another. Hmmm..

2-As sometimes happens in the city, a guy with a guitar boarded the bus to entertain the passengers. They play a few songs, and then you give them 3-5 pesos if you feel like making a contribution. But this was an hour long bus ride...

3-The guy in front of me opened his window wide to get a breeze in the hot afternoon. But, his breeze happened to be giving me the windblown look as we sped down the highway. I was pretty sure he'd close it if I asked, but if he was comfortable...
(Answers below)

At the risk of looking even more like a tourist than I already did, being the only blond on the bus, I stealthily took out my camera for this shot. In the foreground you can see the neck of the guy's guitar as he sat in front of me to rest.

You can also see the driver and his assistant. When we got into the city, the driver became a little too laid back for my comfort - calling friends on his cell phone and singing to the radio as if he were at home in the shower. ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, here are my answers - no guarantee whether they're right or wrong, just what I chose to do today:

1-The couple making out: I tapped the guy on the back and said, "Excuse me," as I squeezed by and sat down.

2-The guitar player: He didn't end up singing the entire time, but he had a very nice voice. I decided on giving him 10 pesos (about a dollar).

3-The open window: I gave up on trying to tame my hair and enjoyed the breeze as best I could. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home