'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

From Laura's Kitchen


I have learned many things in my cooking ventures - and I'm sure I still have much to learn. I thought I'd share a few of them with you:
  1. Although you may fear a gas explosion, don't give up on lighting the gas oven. It is ok to wait 3-5 seconds for it to catch the flame, most times it takes that long.
  2. Whipped cream in a spray can is not the same as Cool Whip. And it definitely does not work in a jello salad.
  3. A non-stick pan works better when the non-stick stuff is still on it. Otherwise half your quesadilla will remain in the pan.
  4. When you want to make banana bread, but your bananas are not ripe, wait a few days. Making the bread anyway just does not work out - as it will not taste of bananas.
  5. Also, when making banana bread, it will taste less like tamales if you use white flour - not corn flour. It is amazing the difference the right kind of flour makes. ;-)

Ok, so that's all for now from my kitchen. I have some vegetables soaking in disinfected water to get ready to make cheddar/potato soup. Yay for having the right kind of flour now! :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny Laura. I guess that try as I might to have passed on cooking tips, I couldn't prepare you for the challenges you've found in your Mexican kitchen.
Keep experimenting! - Mom

Tuesday, January 22, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, tamale banana bread... :)

Friday, January 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home