'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy New Year!

This year has been really windy so far! At least it has been here in Oaxaca - if I didn't know better, I might call this the windy city. Today when I was walking with Cesar, I had to pick him up for a moment, for fear that he might blow away :-).

Some interesting New Year traditions:
  1. Each person eats 12 grapes very quickly at midnight, making a wish for each month of the year. I guess you're technically supposed to eat one grape at each stroke of the bell, but that's really hard to do - especially if your grapes have seeds, as we discovered ours did ;-). And, come to think of it, I guess this one makes the kissing at midnight tradition kind of difficult...
  2. A makeshift scarecrow is placed in a chair outside the house. He is dressed in old clothes, has a bottle in hand, and sometimes has a cigar. This represents old man time (el año viejo). Apparently you burn it right at midnight, saying goodbye to the old year. I saw many of these in the poorer neighborhoods of Oaxaca - I think that's because it is in those neighborhoods where grandparents are more likely to pass down traditions.

Sorry, I know things are better in 3's, but I've wracked my brain and I think I only learned 2 things. Ah well, leaves more room for learning in the New Year ;-)

I tried to think of hopes for each month - but I ran out after March. But, what stands above all of them is my prayer that God's will might be accomplished. I also pray this for you and your family.

Blessings! And Feliz Año Nuevo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home