'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Postcard from Laura - Chiapas, Mexico

Hello! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sunday, March 30, 2008

Early this morning, our bus pulled back into Oaxaca after an 11 hour journey from San Cristobal, Chiapas. Jo Ellen and I visited this beautiful mountain town for a short Spring Break vacation. This state was made famous in 1994 by the Zapatista movement - but it holds many other interesting sights and sounds - including tons of tourists! They were mostly European though, so it was sometimes tough to figure out what language you should speak to other tourists in (although, it seemed that the many who did not speak Spanish, did speak English).

I won't overwhelm you with the 300 pictures I took while there, but I will try to post some of my favorites later. For now, I'll stick with just this one that is classic Chiapas - a female vendor outside the Cathedral of San Cristobal. One of my favorite things about Chiapas was seeing these indigenous vendors smile - they didn't smile real often, but when they did, it was beautiful :-). Pictures had to be taken discretely, so I'm not sure I got any of people smiling, but we'll see what I can dig up.
Blessings!

In Christ,
Laura :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Thats a very cool picture! Wow, a long bus ride...seems like it was worth it! Why did the picture had to be discretely taken?
Laters Cousin!
Kristen

Sunday, March 30, 2008  
Blogger Laura said...

Another good question :-).

This is a culture that believes that taking a picture can steal a persons soul. Even if people don't still believe that, they shy away from photography.

Although, referring to people allowing photographs if you pay them, our guide said, "A little money can help the soul sleep easy." ;-)

Sunday, March 30, 2008  
Blogger Kristen said...

LOL how funny. "Money makes the world go around..."

Monday, March 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home