On the road again
It was a leisurely drive to the children's home this morning - buying churros from a street vendor, stopping to talk to a friend about getting fruit tomorrow, chatting with someone in the vehicle beside us... Of course, this was all done by my trusty bus driver. Oh Mexico ;-).
Juan was my taxi driver on the way home. Wedged between a larger-than-your-average-oaxacan man and a woman who didn't seem to want to move over, I slept until we got into the city. Then everyone else got off at the same stop, and I was left alone with my talkative driver for a while.
After introductions, Juan asked where I was from and I replied Colorado. "Denver?" he asked. At my nod, he said, "Rockies... Nuggets..." I responded with "Broncos," and he smiled and pointed out that he was wearing Bronco colors with his orange T-shirt. Juan told me he had lived in Los Angeles and worked at McDonald's and Wendy's. He knew about the teams because he loved sports and his employers would give out tickets to games.
It is always interesting to come across immigration from this "side of the border." Many of the taxi drivers I've talked to have worked in the U.S. for a few years in their past - and it would surprise me if any of them were there legally (it usually takes a relative amount of wealth or friends in high places to get a visa). I've had someone tell me of his hopes to go to the U.S. to be able to provide better for his growing daughters. He spoke of the coyotes (people who assist others over the border illegally), and I grew concerned and tried to warn him of the dangers I've heard about with border crossings - I'm not sure how much I deterred him though.
As I shook my taxi driver's hand goodbye, he practiced his English by saying "Nice to meet you," and said he hoped to meet again. I'm almost nervous getting in taxis now because I can't remember who I've met. The other day my driver was very happy to see me, he reminded me that he drove me and my family when they were here for Christmas.
Oh, the many joys of public transportation. ;)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home