'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Puzzling

Yesterday after the school picnic, I caught a ride home with the Spanish teacher and her aunt, who live near me. They told me they had a quick stop - they wanted to look for an address nearby. I went along, even knowing that the term 'quick' was used loosely and I shouldn't be surprised if it ended up taking quite a while. I soon found out that we were in search of an address the aunt found on the back of a puzzle. She had gone to the market to buy puzzles for her nephews and nieces, but they were all too simple and weren't really the design she wanted. So, why not go to the source?

After asking many people in the quiet neighborhood for directions and several wrong turns, we ended up on a narrow back road that seemed to be the right place. We could see a man doing woodwork in a yard, and a woman came out from a nearby doorway to greet us. She showed us inside a small room lit by a single light bulb hanging against the wall. At a desk in the hall, I could see a man rolling a tar-like material on a board with a child sitting beside him. Against another wall were shelves of puzzles and bags of more puzzle pieces lay in a corner.

The aunt told the woman what she was looking for, and soon they were looking through hundreds of posters of cartoons, Pixar, and Disney characters. Meanwhile, I was impressed by the different puzzles stacked against the wall - all very educational in nature. After the aunt had selected 8 different designs she wanted and how many pieces for each one, we headed back out to the car. I happened to purchase 6 puzzles as well... :)

What a concept! When you can't find what you want at the store, you just go to the 'factory' and they can cater to exactly what you want there! Despite the hour long detour, it turned out to be a very interesting experience - and I thought I was just getting a ride home :).
.

Some of my new puzzles.
---------
*By they way, puzzles in Spanish is rompecabezas
- literally translated that means "breaks heads" :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home