'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Just as you are...

"I like you very much. Just as you are."
.
Some may recognize that as the very romantic quote of Mr. Darcy on Bridget Jones Diary. If you aren't familiar with that movie, I'd say that's ok, as most of the other lines are rather crude. But, that one quote actually brings to mind something I was reminded of a few weeks ago.
.
"God wasn't surprised when you were born, you came out exactly as He intended."
.
"God is a great designer, you are one of His originals."
.
I heard myself translating the above message from Spanish to English for my visiting friend, as the Zaachila church reflected on Psalm 139. As I spoke those words, I was filled with a deep joy, because I felt like God was telling me, "I love you, just as you are". All too often I forget that - I dwell on the many things I should be doing better, thinking that if I change this or that, God will love me more. And when I buy into that lie, God's words of love get drowned out by worry and guilt.
.
But when I stop to listen and believe (not always a simple thing to do - by the way), God always comes through with His comforting, refreshing, healing, mysterious, extravagant love. And I am once again amazed.
.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I am grateful for your ability to share your thoughts, experience, prayer and praise through your newsletter and this blog. Thank you! Thank you! May the Lord bless you abundantly as He prepares you for the next step!
In Christ,
Donna Akyuz :)

Saturday, January 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home