'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

To walk or not to walk...

This morning as I awoke to the ringing bell and honking of the trash truck, I rolled over and pulled my covers up a little more to keep out the chilly morning air. I had hoped to sleep in some on my day off, but began debating whether take out my trash from yesterday's baking endeavors. Knowing the banana peels and egg shells would not be doing so great by the time the trash truck came next week, I reluctantly slid out of bed, with an idea forming that maybe I could take a walk too...

As I went out to the street, I was rewarded with a brilliant sunrise lighting the clouds rolling over the dark mountains to the north. Not the array of colors some Colorado sunrises can produce, but my heart still lept in praise at the beautiful golds and silvers God had painted that morning. My landlady was out sweeping and I proudly told her of my idea to go walk at the university's sports complex and invited her along. She informed me that she'd already gone and come back. Oh, I see... :) Undeterred, I set out at what I hoped was a brisk pace, and soon was joining the ranks of other early morning walkers.

I walked along the outer fence, following others when I wasn't sure exactly which way to go - trying not to look like this was my first time out there. I made two laps, noticing that some joggers overtook me twice - I didn't mind though, after all, it was my first time out there! :) I pondered how Mexico was a land of contrasts as I passed pine trees followed by palms, a poor neighborhood followed by a pricey store. I smelled the fresh citrus in the air as a few enterprising gentlemen squeezed orange juice for early morning passersby. A man drew chalk lines on a dried soccer field and a few pick up games of basketball started on the center courts.

I headed home with the now risen sun warming my back and a determination to make such refreshing mornings a habit. We'll see how that resolution works out... :)
-----
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home