'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Do you see?*

Oaxaca has a famous tree called the Tule (too-lay) tree. It has nothing on the height of California's Redwoods, but its base is massive. If you go to see this tree, there are school children near the entrance waiting to give tours.
-
These kids have learned the tour in several different languages, and recite it in monotone - but the cute part of the tour is when the kids ask, "Do you see?" They will show how a protruding root looks like a crocodile, a branch resembles a deer, and a knot forms the shape of a lion's head. Each time they ask, "Do you see?" And if you don't say yes, they are kind of at a loss as to what to do next :).
-
Below is a picture of my Sunday School class last Sunday. Take a close look at it first to observe what you can, and then we'll see if, like the kids with the Tule tree, I can point out some things you might not have seen :).
-
-
The first thing I'll point out is that the kids are having a snack. We just finished a relay race outside - I hoped it would help them run off some energy and it seemed to work :). Snack time is the most calm and quiet of the 3 hours I have with the kids :).
-
Second is the sheet of paper in the window. It is blowing inwards - reminding me of the weather that day. Though the morning started out sunny and warm, and fast moving cold front came in - causing very gusty winds and darkened skies. We even had to turn on the light bulb in the classroom!
-
I started the lesson 45 minutes late (purposely waiting for stragglers). After I taught the lesson and the started the craft, another group of kids arrived. Great. :) Thankfully the lesson was easy to tell again and the kids payed good attention. The kids pictured are all sitting at this other table because they are the ones that came in extra late.
-
Another thing I see in the picture are the bare feet and shoes on the floor. While going barefoot is considered rather rude here (not to mention unwise with scorpions and the like), I suppose these kids were exempt of formalities. Whatever the case, I couldn't seem to get them to keep their shoes on :).

-
And that's all I've got on that one. Did you see? Oh, for a brief disclaimer - I realize that the walls are really drab looking. My excuse is that wall behind the photo is fairly well decorated - it's just very difficult to hang things on concrete bricks :).

----------------
*Update (3/3/09)
I would like to submit this photo as proof that I have made an effort to decorate the Sunday School classroom :).
And this photo should be self-explanatory as to why that guitar hangs on the wall without use :).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. But one thing I did notice hanging on the wall with no explanation is a guitar. Have you been learning new skills from the mariachis?

Saturday, February 28, 2009  
Blogger Laura said...

Good point :) I guess did not mention the guitar because it is sadly pretty useless. There is another guitar in a box in the corner that is brought out to be played most Sundays during the service.

Saturday, February 28, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

I did notice the piece of paper, but all else was lost to me, until pointed out; very fun. :)

Sunday, March 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home