Mexico Current Events
A friend recently asked me about what is going on in Mexico right now, as she heard that weird things were happening. Well, that's one way to put it :).
Mexico has experienced a lot of violence recently, as Mexico's president focuses on taking down the drug cartels. The resulting violence is mainly that of drug cartels fighting back, and at the same time, turning on one another. Oaxaca really hasn't seen much of this violence, and those of us living here don't see a change in life nor have experienced fear in being here. The bulk of the fighting is mostly in northern Mexico, and Michuacan, and most of the deaths are people who are involved in the drug cartels.
Though the scale of the violence is very sad, I think most people realize that the president cannot stop fighting now. I liken it to disciplining a child - you lose more by just saying, "Ok, I'm sorry - you do what you want", when the child throws a tantrum.
It is sad that so many have lost loved ones to the war in Iraq, but what I think most people don't realize is that many more people are dying right here in Mexico. Yahoo reports that U.S. military deaths due to the war are at around 4,000 total since 2003 - that's a 6-year total. In just 2008, there were between 6,000 to 8,000 drug related deaths here in Mexico. And in the first 2 months of 2009, 1,000 are reported to have already died.
I do not share this information to worry you. I more share it with you for two other reasons. First is to let you know that, thankfully, we here in Oaxaca have not experienced the increase in violence that is making the news and feel safe. The second reason is to ask for your prayers for Mexico. She certainly could use them right now.
If you would like more information, here is a link to the BBC article Q&A: Mexico's drug-fuelled violence.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home