'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Shopping Adventures

While I'm in no way a big shopper, I've encountered several interesting circumstances lately while shopping.A Cyclone... My fan finally gave up on me. It was in the apartment when I got here 2 years ago - none of buttons worked, the face of it was sliding off so the propellers hit it, and when it oscillated, it would lose strength on one side and just couldn't get back up - poor thing :). Then this weekend it finally stopped working altogether - and I immidiately felt the need for the new one, as it is so hot lately and this is the only the beginning of the hot season.
.
Now my kitchen is scattered with little plastic bags, an instruction manual, and a big fan box - as I bought and assembled a new one! I think I should have been more observant though - this fan is blowing me away even on the lowest setting and now I see on the box that it is called the Cyclone :). Ah well, with the heat wave just beginning, I think I'll appreciate it.
.
Wait for it... This morning I arrived at the grocery store bright and early. I did some quick shopping, then got in line around 7:15. It was about 5 minutes later when I realized that not only was my line slow, it was not moving at all (I know, very observant, eh?). And not only that, but the other two open lanes were not moving either. After 10 minutes I deducted that the computers were not working - and I was thankful to have Katy Dockter, another short term missionary, there to chat with me. But, after about 25 minutes, she ended up taking off to do her shopping at the local market
.
After 30 minutes they came around with tasty bread from the bakery for us. By this time the line behind me was about 15 carts long. The whole time, I was looking around and marveling at how patient people were being. There were a few getting a little antsy - but most seemed to have nowhere to be anytime soon. I fell into the latter category, and so followed suit by just standing there pondering life.
.
45 minutes later, they began suggesting people go to the pharmacy or the electronics section to make non-produce purchases. At that point I did discover that not everyone was feeling patient, as 2 ladies broke into a light jog to get there before me :). In the end, though I lost some time, I had the chance to learn and practice some calm patience :).
.
.
Clothes for her... Let's just say, I'm not the same size as most Oaxacans - and going shopping for clothes here further reminds me of that fact. I was shopping with a Mexican friend, and she suggested we go to the huge marketplace because they sell American clothes there. I was feeling kind of shopped out, but I knew this might be my only opportunity to find such places, so I took her up on the offer.
.
To save time, my friend would ask the owner 'Where are clothes that would fit her?' They would both then glance over at me, and direct us to an appropriate rack - as I tried not to look as self-conscience as I felt :). I chuckled to myself as I found clothes with Walmart tags still on them, and wondered what kind of journey it had been on to get from a store in the U.S. to this marketplace in southern Mexico.
.
I'm very happy to report that I did find a great pair of pants, and for only $5 at that. I may have to find my way back to that market...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home