'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Marketing - Ocotlan style

It is a long-standing tradition that different towns in Oaxaca have big markets on different days of the week. Thursday the market is in Zaachila, Friday is Ocotlan, Saturday is Oaxaca, Sunday is Tlacolula... and, I don't really know where the Monday-Wednesday markets are :).
---
So, on Good Friday, I boarded the bus with the Dockters and a few friends to head off to the southeastern pueblo of Ocotlan. It ended up being a beautiful town and much more spread out than I was expecting. Hopefully these pictures will give you glimpses of the Ocotlan Friday Market.
---
The beautiful walkway leading to the main church in town.
-------

Intricate woodwork diffuses the light coming in the back entrance of the church.
---

Ok, this is not a typical market shot :). But, this engaged couple has lived and worked in Colorado Springs, so we enjoyed talking to them for a while. She arrived in the Springs as a traditional Catholic, and became a Christian while there, and he played the trumpet in a church worship band. Being in the mid-90's that day, we of course talked mainly about the differences in weather ;-).
---

Colorful baskets - these are very commonly used when shopping in the markets.
---

My legs would be asleep.
---

Pirated DVD anyone?
---

Looks like the makings for some pretty princesses.
---

I was trying to take a picture of the man on the right, with 3 chickens/roosters in his hand, but the little kid in the cowboy hat is cute too :).
---Mexico. Chiles. Need I say more?
---

What I thought was funny about this baby clothes stand
was that there's a baby on the table too. See his cute head?
---

This photo is great by itself (courtesy of the Dockters' camera).
But, what I think makes it even better is knowing that, just off screen, the man in blue's wife was bugging him to stop messing around and get going on their way :).
---
And I'll leave you with some thoughts of fresh produce...
.




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wednesday is Etla.

Jo Ellen

Monday, April 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home