'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pierced for our transgressions

To say Holy Week is a big deal in Mexico would be an understatement. Yesterday the Dockters and I went to the Friday market in Ocotlan (southeast of the city of Oaxaca), and we caught parts of a Good Friday presentation being held at the Catholic church there.
---
As we rounded a corner, my companions were saying, "Look at the Roman soldiers!" I couldn't figure out what they were talking about until I spotted these guys. They are rather intimidating in those helmets - although I must say, cool helmet design.
---
This stage portrays the rich palace of Pontius Pilate. You can see two priests up there now, but just earlier Pilate's wife was begging him not to have anything to do with Jesus's death.
---

As one crucifix left, another arrived. The followers had a bit of a traffic jam (which I found kind of humorous). These reenactments abound here in Mexico during Holy Week.

---
The following is a short video of just a part of the walk they take. This is a common sight in Oaxaca (and in Mexico) on Good Friday.

To read more about Holy Week in Oaxaca, visit Jo Ellen's post on Easter in Oaxaca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home