'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Understanding Siestas

While the title of this post perhaps suggests some great cultural breakthrough, this is more just a time for me to whine about the heat ;). But seriously, look at today's weather!
-
-
It is when 3:00 in the afternoon rolls around that I recall the new understanding I have for siestas. It is so hot that even if you try to work, your productivity ends up around zero - so why not just nap?
-
On my way home from school, I pass a hospital that is mid-construction. Many times all the guys are lined up on the sidewalk in the shade, similar to the picture below. Some may see lazy, I see wise ;-).
-
-
I sure am ready for the rains to come. Just 2 more months... Today in class I was watching my students grow sleepy with the heat and recalled what the high was supposed to be. I didn't doubt it. I wanted to start a water fight with the kids to escape the heat - but then I also recalled how we have also entered the part of the dry season when the wells are running short. Lovely ;-).
-
One plus on days like this is getting to enjoy my nieve after church. Directly translated, nieve means snow - but it is also the name of very tasty homemade-style ice cream they sell around here. Mmm mmm good ;-).
-
-
One minus is that it is so hot the creepy crawlies are coming out of the earth. I just killed my first scorpion of the year yesterday. Eww!!! It has made me a little hesitant to use my computer, because I killed it right by my computer mouse - while I was using it! Double eww. So, with that in mind, I will end this here and leave you with a little siesta humor...
-

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While temperatures are hitting 100 in Oaxaca, I am glad for a 50 degree day such as yesterday. I didn't even have to wear gloves!

Jo Ellen

Wednesday, April 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home