'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tasty Snacks

I am still here! My sister visited the last few weeks, and I think I'll use that as my excuse for not posting for a bit :). But, yesterday morning, after passing a health check in the airport lobby with flying colors :), she headed back to the U.S.

As we waited at the airport, we noticed and were grossed-out by some huge ants on the floor of the airport (thankfully we only saw two). However, as I walked through my neighborhood on my way home, it was all I could do not to step on any of those ants as there were SO MANY! I didn't know where they all came from, but I did know I was thankful that I have never had any in my apartment.

Then came the weird part - I saw an old man walking down the street picking things up! His wife followed and I got a closer look as, sure enough, she picked up the ants that he had missed. On the next block there was a young family out for a morning walk gathering ants in a plastic sandwich bag. I heard the woman call to a neighbor, "Yes! They are delicious!"

I thought, oh man, she can't mean the ants, can she? But, I mentioned it to Katy Dockter (another short term missionary) later that morning and she said one of her students that morning had in fact offered her some of these tasty treats to her. While I try to keep an open mind, all I can think is "Ew!"

I've tried to find a picture of these ants online to show you, but I'm afraid I can only stand looking at pictures of ants for so long - sorry :). I have finally gotten used to the idea of eating grasshoppers - even taking a children's home kid up on his challenge to eat a few more the other day - but giant ants? I'd rather not get used to that idea.

Maybe later on I can post some pictures of my sister's and my mini-vacation to the beach - much more pleasant to view than ants anyhow :).

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man, do they eat them raw? Those were gross looking. :)

Sunday, May 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home