'Tis so sweet...

I am a 2-year short-term missionary with Covenant World Mission, living in Oaxaca Mexico. I have a great team of supporters and am serving a wonderful God. Hopefully this blog help me share news and adventures with you folks a little more frequently. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Be healthy

Advertisements on TV and billboards around here sometimes make me smile because they come with helpful messages written at the bottom. "Exercise," "Eat well," and "Health is beauty" are some of the more common ones. Just the other day one cracked me up, I forget what the commercial was for, but the helpful message at the bottom of the screen was "Eat cantaloupe and watermelon." Ok.... :)

While we're on the health topic, I spent several days this past week struggling with a clogged ear. It was my own fault for not heeding the "nothing bigger than your elbow in your ear" rule, but my right ear ended up stopped up real good (thankfully with no pain). I hoped it would just go away if I left it alone, but that wasn't happening.

Finally, on Friday, I went to the pharmacy section at the local grocery store armed with the Spanish word for earwax scribbled on a paper in my pocket. I explained my problem and they handed me a bottle of ear drops and asked if that was what I wanted. Scanning all the medical words, I found "earwax removal" at the bottom, and said "Sure!"

And I was amazed at how well those drops worked! I ended up putting them in both ears because the one was suddenly feeling clearer than the other. I was so excited about it, I wanted everyone to try it. The people I talked to haven't been quite as enthusiastic about it as I am though :).

This business with my ears has caused me to reflect on the miracles of healing Jesus did during his time on this earth. Those drops felt so refreshing the first time I put them in my ears - how much more amazing must it have felt to be one of the many who had their hearing, sight, mobility, or even life, restored by Jesus. No wonder people just had to tell others about the wonders of what had happened. I'm so excited about ear drops - and that's incomparable to the excitement of experiencing the Messiah and his wonderful, mysterious ways.

------
When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd,
he had compassion on them and healed their sick.
Matt. 14:14

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home