Pyramids and funerals
I had great plans for a creative post, but I'm so wiped out from traveling today, I think that'll have to hold off for now. This morning, Jo Ellen and I made the drive from Oaxaca to Puebla - made especially beautifully green by recent rains.
We arrived in Puebla to meet up with Bruce and Katy Dockter at our hotel. Katy wasn't feeling super, so just Jo Ellen, Bruce and I went out to explore Puebla - and that's when the interesting afternoon began...
If you go to Puebla, you have to show the new guest the Cholula pyramid.
If you're in Cholula, you need to stop by the Puebla Covenant Church.
If you stop by the Puebla Covenant Church, you should really stop in and say hello.
If you stop in, they'll call the nearby pastor to come by to see you too.
If the pastor comes to see you, he will invite you to join him in the ministry he was pulled away from.
Today, that ministry happened to be joining a young mother at the cemetery where they just laid her 12-day old baby to rest. It sure felt intrusive for us to show up there - but I guess it comes with life here. In short term missions training, the key word was flexibility - boy has that been true. But, it was nice to see people from the church who I have met before and to have them recognize and warmly greet me (and here you kiss on the cheek and hug, where in Oaxaca you just handshake).
Tomorrow we will continue on to Queretaro, where our mission retreat will be for a week. I'm super glad to be in such a comfortable place for the night, so I'm going to get down to the job of resting :).
1 Comments:
Kind of like if you give a mouse a cookie... Wow, what a ministry to walk into. May God give them peace that makes no sense.
Post a Comment
<< Home