Homeward Bound
It hit me when I boarded my plane to Denver...
It was the end of July when I started the long line of goodbyes, and I began packing around the same time. I found that I had a LOT to pack and even more to get rid of. After several rounds of cuts, repacking at least 5 times, and mailing 3 packages, I finally got everything to fit just before leaving for my flight. I was off on my new adventure with two checked bags barely under the weight limit, and a carry-on and personal item both over the weight limits...
All the way up to my departure date, it still hadn't really hit me that I was actually leaving life in Oaxaca. It didn't hit me when I hugged my friends goodbye at the airport, and still hadn't hit me when I took a last look out my window at the Oaxaca mountains. Even after 1 1/2 hours slugging through the customs line, it still wasn't quite sinking in that I had actually returned to the U.S.
As I hefted my overweight carry-on into the overhead of my Denver bound flight, a steward was kind enough to come and help me get it in. However, he took me by surprise when he pounded my bag into place, made the comment that I must've been too cheap to pay for a checked bag, and informed me he'd help me get it in but not get it out. I understand he must deal with people doing that a lot - but he said it to the wrong person that day - and it was nearly the last straw on my worn out emotions.
I slid into my seat rather deflated and explained to the people beside me that I was actually moving after 2 years in Mexico, hoping at least they'd understand. I quickly realized that my plastic bag was wet, and I looked down to find it bloody from a deep gash in my finger. As I wrapped my throbbing finger in my sweatshirt to try to stop the bleeding, the steward's flippant remark sunk in a little deeper and my numbness in leaving finally crumbled.
I had expected that there would be plenty of tears as I processed my goodbyes, I just wouldn't have minded if I hadn't been on an airplane at the time :). At the end of the flight, some gentlemen in the back of the plane who had witnessed the earlier struggle were kind enough to help me get my bag back down, and I was eager to find my parents awaiting me and get into a nice bed at home.
I'm pretty sure there'll be more tears as I further process all the goodbyes I've said - but I am encouraged by the hope that there'll be some pretty good hellos coming as well :).
~~~~~~~~~~~
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God,
and his righteousness"
~Matthew 6:33a
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home