Sunny Days
A nearby pedestrian walkway lined with trees - and covering the sewer... :).
I said hello to a few people I usually greet. Passed by the men with machine guns that guard some sort of government building around the block. It looks like one of the more run down buildings in the area, so I really don't know what they're guarding...
Glancing up later on, I noticed a man in a suit, carrying a briefcase, with his head down concentrating on his phone. What made me notice him was the full clown makeup on his face. I really don't know about that one either - other than here it is not odd to see a clown on a bus or something. Oh Mexico :).
A young man from the other side of the street was yelling, and I finally realized he was yelling in English and at me (something about isn't it better in the U.S. than here). That's one thing I don't mind leaving behind in Oaxaca - I seem to stand out like a sore thumb here. Apparently I haven't done a great job blending in - but being a blond in a Mexican state known for its indigenous roots, it's not particulary easy.
I've become accustomed to answering to 'white girl' or, in Spanish, guera (g-where-ah). I can't really think of an equivalent situation in English, since there's nothing really derogatory about it. Hi guera. What can I get for you guera? Bye guera.
I had one bus assistant call me guera at least 4 times - that got really tiring. Another time I was walking down the street and was surprised to overhear two vegetable vendors say something about the guera from Zaachila (where I attend church) - I had a feeling they may have been talking about me...
So, anyhow - all that to say, I had a nice walk through the neighborhood that has been my home for the past 2 years. I will miss it, but there are somethings I won't be missing quite so much :).
3 Comments:
I'll try not to refer to you as guera when you return home! ;) -Dad
Funny - I guess that's just a common term, not meant to be offensive. Yesterday we were in a Mexican market in Chicago and the young man behind the counter called Mary "guerita" (little white lady).
The quote of the day while at church in Xagaxia was a little boy asking me "are you a guera?" I certainly don't look Mexican but then again, they probably don't see many white people in this tiny mountain town.
Jo Ellen
Post a Comment
<< Home